Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back Basting

Hi All.

I need to figure out how to add photos, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask if anyone else was using back basting for the Rossville quilt.

I've traced all of the patterns and am working on two of them-- the first is the same block that many others have tried for their first (the lower right) and the second is the bottom inner border panel, the one with two trees.

I've found that backbasting works ok since many of the pieces are large and layering is minimal. So far, I've just appliqued the chicken beaks and feet, the horse tails, and the bird wings and tail.

Michele

3 comments:

  1. No, I'm not back basting. I've tried multiple ways to applique and I always come back to cutting the pattern out of freezer paper, ironing it on to the fabric, cutting around the pattern,and then pinning it down and doing needleturn. I know a lot of people don't like to fuss with the pins but it is faster for me. I can immediately start stitching. Whatever works for you is the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO, Michele!!! I had the most fun stitching those darn bird feet!!! Crazy cute. Chicken beaks sound like a LOT of FUN too. ; ) It's those unexpected details that I just LOVE about Kim's designs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried back basting, it never really appealed to me. I do pretty much what Robin does except I don't use pins, I use Elmers school glue and wash my block afterwards to get it out.

    ReplyDelete